Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Season Pass


Yeah, it's that time of year. Time to shell out the coin for a season pass. After seeing an article in the local paper about "deals" at the local resorts, I got to wondering. How does Utah season pass prices compare to other resorts around the country and to each other? Lets take a look. Keep in mind I have a family of 4 that all snowboards(2 adults and two kids age 10 and 13). Also I only include the unlimited passes, no blackout dates, because thats how I roll. I don't have time to sit on the sidelines when there is pow. Also all prices listed are preseason pricing, if you buy late, you pay more. Also I hate the argument that you will only ride the backcountry. That means no riding on storm days, high avalanche days and no park riding, something I refuse to give up. Yes I ride the backcountry often, but having no season pass is not an option. Also doing laps on the lift when there is pow is a no brainer.


Utah

5th/6th grade pass good to all resorts in Utah FREE!!!!! (limited visits)
If you have kids this is an incredible offer. Take advantage of it.


Snowbird $1999 for a family 4 pack. $999 for an unlimited adult tram pass. $649 for a young adult (born after 1984), $629 college pass. My home mountain and personally the best place to ride powder on a consistent basis. I love this place!


Brighton $1887 for my family of 4. $849 for an adult pass. $499 young adult (born after 1986) and college pass. .


Solitude $2356 for my family of 4. $999 adult unlimited. No college or young adult.


The Canyons $2117 for my family of 4. $899 for an unlimited adult pass. $419 College and young adult.


Park City $2675 for my family of 4. $1250 for an unlimited adult pass. $500 College and young adult.


Snowbasin $2000 for my family of 4. $950 adult unlimited. $600 College and young adult.


Powder Mtn Their pass pricing is based on first come first serve. Expect to pay between $690-$85o for and unlimited adult pass and $495-600 for young adult.


Deer Valley and Alta JUST FLIP THEM THE BIRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Colorado

EPIC PASS (good at 6 resorts, Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone, A-Basin and Heavenly in California) $599 adult, $299 child (age 5-12) unlimited, no blackout dates. This is the best deal I have ever seen on a pass. When I lived in Vail in the early 90's my young adult pass was $599. Wish this deal was around then. Utah needs to step up and come up with something comparable.


Summit Pass (good at Breckenridge, Keystone, A-Basin) $399 adult, $199 child. Another incredible deal!


Aspen/Snowmass/Buttermilk/Aspen Highlands (all one pass good at those 4 resorts) $4186 for my family of 4. Glad I don't ride there! $1499 adult unlimited. No College or young adult, only child passes.


Crested Butte $1798 for my family of 4. $899 adult unlimited.


Wyoming

Jackson Hole $3350 for my family of 4. $1675 adult unlimited. $905 under 18. Keep in mind this was August pricing, the prices have gone up quite a bit. I love this mountain, one of my favorite resorts ever. Not a good deal considering they don't open until mid December and close earlier than any other resort I know of. But a good powder day at the Hole is priceless and the hiking is the best I have seen anywhere in the country, especially with the open boundary policy!


Grand Targhee $1449 for my family of 4. $575 adult unlimited. $199 College (not sure what schools are nearby though)


California

Squaw Valley $3966 for my family of 4. $1299 adult unlimited. $999 Young Adult.


Northstar/Sierra at Tahoe $1906 for my family of 4. $699 adult unlimited. $399 young adult.


Kirkwood $1736 for my family of 4. $559 adult unlimited. $359 College.


Mammoth/June Mountain MVP pass if you bought last April, $576 adult, $288-$432 Child. If you buy now expect to pay well over a grand per pass.


Washington

Mt Baker $1740 for my family of 4. $680 adult unlimited. $600 college pass.


Crystal Mountain $2347 for my family of 4. $799 adult unlimited.


Alpental $1716 for my family of 4. $479 adult unlimited.


Stevens Pass $1336 for my family of 4. $399 adult unlimited.


Look it costs money to go on the hill, but if you are a family what other winter activities are there out there? Its money well spent! Better than having the kids on the XBOX all day long. Also I love hearing the boo hooing from people about pass prices that spend a ton of money on their golf habit, their expensive car payments, expensive mountain bikes, etc... Its all about priorities. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I went without fixing my AC in my car all summer to come up with the coin and its hot in the SLC in summer.

6 comments:

snowone said...

Looks like the bottom line could be argument for the fact that WA has the best bang for buck!?!? Personally, I'm going with ScummitAtSnoCrummy (Alpy) Unlimited Gold (includes 5 days at Crystal, 10 at Brighton, 10 at Big Sky); plus the Midweek + Nights at Stevens Ass, which is good ANYTIME up to Dec. 1st and again starting March 1st (for riding with Captn Jackass, Tonto, J-Rad, and other SP Kook-Cowboys.

Nice write up bud; valid logic throughout.

Hope to tag along on a handfull of those pow tram/lift laps sessions at the Bird w/ the lifer's...

Forrest said...

I am totally ashamed to admit I still have not ridden the PNW! I need to get up there. I will have another blog post of places I have and not been. Can't wait to take some laps with you this winter. Let me know when you are coming out!

primetime formerly known as slyfox said...

i got solitude on thursdays all year for $249

ryan said...

Squaw passes went on sale last spring for $369 Sun. thru Fri.They sold some kind of platnium unlimited pass for 1500+/-. It includes early ups and backcountry access(squaw has closed boundries). The best part is it created a pass war! Alpine meadows offered a pass for $299 and Boreal(Great park)for $149. The only catch is you have to buy late spring to get these deals. For under $1000 you can have 2 epic freeride resorts and a park! Pass wars rule!

ryan said...

On another note I havent ridden PNW
either. We should make a trip.

Ski Bike Junkie said...

Idaho: Bogus basin pre-season sale President's day weekend, good from the day you buy it to close of that season and all of the following season: $199 adults, $49 children. Lowest cost I know of, and the powder, though extremely scarce, lasts a surprisingly long time in bounds. It ain't the wasatch, but it's sure easy on the wallet.

As for me, I just hit the backcountry and buy a solitude pass book for when I go with the kids. I know you don't buy that argument, but there were very few people who skied more powder than I did last season.